Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Qualifications as a Nest Summer Fellow

Incorporating my position as a Nest Summer Fellow into my Global Poverty & Practice minor at UC Berkeley would provide both Nest and myself with a rather unique opportunity.  Through the Global Poverty & Practice minor, which combines a core curriculum on the analysis of global poverty with an individualized practice experience, I will first complete a preparatory course to gain background information and develop skills pertinent to my work as a Nest Summer Fellow, and I will complete a reflection course and related elective courses upon returning. This will enable me to begin the Fellowship with a clear understanding of microfinance, international development, and non-profit work, which in turn would permit me to contribute more to the Fellowship than would a typical Fellow. Apart from my Global Poverty & Practice program, my diverse experiences in international relations and development, including five years of participation and leadership in Model United Nations, internships with the World Affairs Councils of America (a non-profit dedicated to spreading awareness about foreign affairs to the American public) and the East Bay Sanctuary Covenant (a local immigrant and refugee sanctuary), and study abroad experiences in Spain and Ecuador will further allow me to bring expertise, dedication, and experience to the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment